‘All-Star Superman’ Animated Feature Coming to DVD and Blu-Ray February 22
If fans of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely’s Eisner Award-winning All-Star Superman are one thing, it’s patient. After all, it took three years for the duo’s 12-issue series to conclude in comics. Fortunately for readers, the wait for the story’s animated adaptation has been significantly shorter. Just a few short months ago word broke that the project would be coming to fruition and now Warner Home Video’s as good as marked fankind’s calendars with its February 22 release date of the All-Star Superman Blu-Ray/DVD/digital download.The 75-minute feature will come standard across contemporary viewing formats, but the special edition DVD and Blu-Ray combo packs are likely what collectors will be after. WB Home Video’s official press release breaks down what buyers will have access to come February.
All-Star Superman 2-Disc Special Edition DVD:
• Feature film (est. 75 min)
• Sneak Peak at Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
• Featurette: “Superman Now” – In a moment of inspiration, Grant Morrison was provided an opportunity to revamp the Man of Steel into something modern, something more relevant for today’s audience. This is the story of All-Star Superman – where it all started, and what it came to be
• Two bonus episodes from animated television series handpicked by Bruce Timm
All-Star Superman Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack will include approximately 2 1/2 hours of intriguing bonus features, starting with all of the content available on the 2-Disc Special Edition DVD and adding:
• Featurette: “Incubating the Idea” – A conversation with Grant Morrison
• Audio Commentary: Bruce Timm and Grant Morrison
• All-Star Superman Digital Comic Book
• Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
• Digital copy on disc of the feature film
At a suggested retail price of $19.98 and $24.98, respectfully, the Blu-ray pack seems like the best buy for collectors and fact-fiends. More casual fans will still have the option to download or watch it on demand via digital streaming services for a much smaller chunk of change, though. It’s kind of a prestige hardcover vs. a tpb situation.
See the full-sized box art image, along with the movie’s official trailer below: