BOOM! Announces 2014 Comic-Con Exclusives From Adam Hughes, Noelle Stevenson, Tessa Stone, Roger Langridge And More
Terrifyingly, it's just a few weeks until Comic-Con International annexes most of downtown San Diego and with it, our souls. But with a new comics convention comes a new offering of exclusive stuff from BOOM! Studios. The publisher of the Adventure Time line of comics as well Lumberjanes and Bee and Puppycat and others is known among rarities collectors for its convention-only releases, and they'll be back at their booth with more at this year's San Diego Comic-Con. Check out the company's latest assortment of exclusives below, including the hardcover Mathematical Edition of Adventure Time: Marceline and the Scream Queens.
Also take note of how the Cartoon Network and Frederator books combine to form two separate illustrations. Neat!
- Writer: James Tynion IV, Artist: Michael DialynasOn October 16, 2013, 437 students, 52 teachers, and 24 additional staff from Bay Point Preparatory High School in suburban Milwaukee, WI vanished without a trace. Countless light years away, far outside the bounds of the charted universe, 513 people find themselves in the middle of an ancient, primordial wilderness. Where are they? Why are they there? The answers will prove stranger than anyone could possibly imagine.
- Writer: Natasha Allegri, Garrett Jackson, Artist: Natasha AllegriIt’s a quirky new take on the magical girl genre with Bee, the forever unemployed main character who can’t seem to figure out life, and the mysterious PuppyCat, a stray...whatever it is…that she stumbled across who has a powerful secret. Fighting bad guys has never been so funny.
- Writers: John Carpenter, Eric Powell, Artist: Brian ChurillaThis is the first time any new BIG TROUBLE stories have been officially told, and we have the film’s original director, John Carpenter, working with Eric Powell (THE GOON) on the story. Jack Burton, a macho, truck-driving adventurer, finds a stowaway hiding on his rig, The Pork Chop Express, but that soon becomes the least of his troubles. He helped his best friend Wang save his fiancée from the clutches of a demon, but now the wedding has been invaded by more evil forces with one thing on their minds—revenge against Jack Burton!
- Writer: Cullen Bunn, Artist: Vanesa R. Del ReyIt’s been one year since the first reported case of the Empty Man disease, and no drug has been able to slow its progress. The cause is unknown, and the symptoms include fits of rage, hideous hallucinations, suicidal dementia, followed by death, or a near lifeless, "empty" state of catatonia. As murder cults rise nationwide, the FBI and CDC enter a joint investigation of the Empty Man, hoping to piece together clues to stop the cult and uncover a cure.
- Writers: Kevin Panetta, Nikki Mannino, Jeremy Sorese, Kevin Church, Kat Leyh, Artists: Paulina Ganucheau, Nikki Mannino, Jeremy Sorese, Jess Fink, Kat LeyhIf there is one sassy fur ball in BRAVEST WARRIORS that deserves it’s own comic dedicated to how awesome he is, it’s Impossibear. Impossibear and Catbug are up to no good with the Bravest Warriors off on a mission! But have no fear, there are plenty of shenanigans to be had!
- Writers: Charles Schulz, Andy Beall, Vicki Scott, Bob Scott, Artists: Charles Schulz, Paige Braddock, Vicki ScottAfter years without contact, Snoopy begins the journey of a lifetime, travelling through Kansas City in search of his beloved sister, Belle. “Finding Belle” and many more adventures await you within this month’s issue of PEANUTS.
- Writer: Meredith Gran, Artist: Meredith GranThanks to a newfound interest in rock ‘n’ roll, Princess Bubblegum volunteers to manage Marceline’s paranormal rock band for a pivotal tour across the land of Ooo! But when the band is threatened by everything from snobby scenesters to beasts born of self-doubt, can they hold it together and make it to the RADDEST GIG EVER in time, and manage to stay friends throughout the process?! Written and illustrated by award-winning cartoonist Meredith Gran (OCTOPUS PIE) and featuring short stories from several indie comics superstars, including Jen Wang (KOKO BE GOOD) and FRIENDS WITH BOYS cartoonist Faith Erin Hicks! This totally mathematical hardcover edition features never-before-seen extras, including an inside look at the making of MARCELINE AND THE SCREAM QUEENS!
- Writer: Joshua Williamson, Artist: Carlos MagnoA deadly and charismatic criminal, Killian, is released from jail. He went into the slammer before RoboCop hit the streets. Now he wants to take out the biggest cop in the city. When OCP wants to take guns off the street, Killian sees it as his opportunity to take on the former Alex Murphy!
- Writer: Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, Artist: Brooke AllenAfter a lot of convincing, the girls are able to agree to get Jen to take them on a hike. Making their way up to the tower and hoping to finally get some answers, they make their way closer only to be stopped by the neighboring boy camp! April, Mal, Molly, Jo, and Ripley have to figure out how to get to the tower, even if they have to use Jen as a distraction to do it.
- Writer: Jeremy Sorese, Artist: Coleman EngleSteven really wants to enter the annual Beach City Bike Race but everyone else is a little worried. Steven just makes the cut-off for age, which means the other bikers will be a lot older than him. Connie agrees to help Steven the old-fashioned way through good ol’ exercise but Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl have other plans...
- Writer: Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl, Roger Langridge, Artist: Roger LangridgeAn exclusive look at the Lost Television Special from Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl, adapted by Eisner Award-winner Roger Langridge. Featuring twenty oversized pages from the upcoming graphic novel, photos of the original puppets from The Jim Henson Archives, and character designs by Roger Langridge and Ian Herring.
Turkey Hollow is a picturesque town where hundreds of years ago, unbeknownst to the citizens, a meteorite landed near a small brook on the outskirts of town. One Thanksgiving, while young Timmy Henderson practices his guitar, he’s accompanied by strange, unearthly, musical sounds. That meteorite wasn’t a rock at all but an egg holding seven furry, goofy monsters, each with a unique musical sound! After the initial shock, Timmy befriends the lovable creatures, who follow him all around Turkey Hollow. Not everyone takes a liking to the visitors, though, and it’s up to Timmy to protect his new friends and save Thanksgiving!
- Writer: Frank Gibson Artist: Tyson Hesse
Gumball, Darwin, and all of their friends take on the world of comics! Gumball thinks he’s the coolest kid on the block, but his little sister Anais begs to differ, and Darwin just wants to keep them all out of trouble. There’s always another adventure to be had in their mixed-up world!
- Writer: Kent Osborne Artist: Mad Rupert
Not only are the Banana Guards hilarious as the Candy Kingdom’s protectors, but this series is written by Kent Osborne, one of the longtime writers of the ADVENTURE TIME show. Turns out that there is a lot to being a Banana Guard—but being a Banana is not mandatory. This crazy adventure follows Root Beer Guy as he starts his search for new recruits among Ooo’s citizens. Only the best will do in his quest to protect the Candy Kingdom!
- Writer: Minty Lewis Artist: Allison Strejlau
If you're a fan of REGULAR SHOW, then this is definitely something you don't want to miss: storyboard artist and the voice for Eileen, Minty Lewis, will be writing this issue. And if you haven't seen the show, who better to show you around the Park? Mordecai and Rigby are put in charge of decorating the park for the annual park party and it’s the only job Benson is sure they can’t screw up. A small fire, three missing children, and a crashed blimp later, things are only going to get worse and the party hasn’t even started yet.
- Writer: Jon Chad Artist: Jon Chad
After 2012's Adventure Time and last year's Regular Show mini-comics, Jon Chad has set his sights on The Amazing World of Gumball. In this spectacular fold-out mini-comic, Gumball and Darwin take on the world of video games. Plus, it comes packaged in a one-of-a-kind video game cartridge!
- Writer: Caleb Monroe Artist: Tom Derenick
Set directly after the events of 20th Century Fox's Rise of the Planet of the Apes film, DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES: CONTAGION follows the story of Ellie (played by Keri Russell in the new Dawn of the Planet of the Apesfilm) as she struggles to find a cure for the pandemic before it claims her daughter forever. In this self-contained, one-shot issue, we see a slice of the descent of mankind as they succumb to the Simian Flu pandemic from the perspective of the CDC and various doctors and scientists trying to stop the outbreak.
- Writers: Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly Artists: Marcus To and Ian Herring
The convention debut of Archaia's HACKTIVIST collected hardcover features an exclusive San Diego Comic-Con tip-in bookplate signed by the creator of the title, actress Alyssa Milano. This is a story about friendship and freedom in a time of war, stunningly illustrated by fan-favorite artist Marcus To (CYBORG 009, New Warriors, Red Robin) and Eisner Award-nominated colorist Ian Herring (JIM HENSON’S TALE OF SAND, CYBORG 009, Ms. Marvel). Ed Hiccox and Nate Graft are the young, brilliant co-founders of YourLife, a social networking company that has changed the way the world connects with each other. But they are also “sve_Urs3lf,” the largest black-hat hacking group on the planet. When their operation is discovered by the U.S. Government, and their company is taken over by military contracts and the CIA, Ed and Nate must face the real world beyond the code and choose between friendship and what they believe to be right.
A set of four, iron-on patches taken straight from the pages of LUMBERJANES, designed by Kate Leth. The set includes patches for the Naval Gauging Badge, Pungeon Master Badge, Up All Night Badge, and the San Diego Comic-Con exclusive CON-Quistador Badge. Jo, April, Mal, Molly and Ripley are five best pals determined to have an awesome summer together...and they’re not gonna let any insane quest or an array of supernatural critters get in their way! LUMBERJANES is one of those punk rock, love-everything-about-it stories that appeals to fans of basically all excellent things.
- Writer: Simon Spurrier Artist: Jeff Stokely
The hardcover edition of the SIX-GUN GORILLA is available only at the BOOM! Studios booth at conventions. Limited to 250 copies, this edition includes 16 extra pages of backmatter bound in a gorgeous burgundy leatherette with a foil-stamped cover and all-new cover art from Chris Weston. Welcome to “the Blister,” a bizarre other-world colonized by humans sometime in the 22nd century, which quickly became a hotly contested source of fertile land and natural resources long ago exhausted on Earth. In this new frontier, a rogue gunslinger and his companion wander across a wilderness in the grips of a civil war, encountering lawlessness, natives, and perversions of civilization in a world at the crossroads between the past and the future. The fact that said gunslinger is a bio-surgically modified silverback gorilla toting a pair of enormous revolvers is neither here nor there…
- Writer: Jake Lawrence Artist: Jake LawrenceBOOM! Box's newest series, TEEN DOG, launches in September, but you can get your first look here in this eight-page, black-and-white preview zine. It's free with a $10 or more purchase of BOOM! Box titles, including MIDAS FLESH and LUMBERJANES. Skateboards, football games, prom…your teenage years have got nothin’ on the raddest dude that’s ever graced a denim vest. Written and illustrated by Jake Lawrence (Time Cowboy), join Teen Dog and his best friend Mariella as they tackle typical teen life with a manic twist. Growing up is an adventure, and you might as well rock it!