DC Comics and Vertigo Graphic Novels and Collected Editions On Sale In September 2012
Having taken a look at September’s periodical releases from DC’s New 52, Vertigo, Before Watchmen and DC Kids lines, it’s time to check out what for many readers is the main event of any comic book shipping schedule: the collected editions, which compile and usually complete comics stories initially serialized monthly in 20-page pamphlet-style comics you totally can’t put on a shelf. Below you will find the cover artwork and hype copy for new original graphic novels, trade paperbacks, hardcovers and omnibuses coming from DC Comics and Vertigo this September (and in beyond, in some cases), including the collection of all the Batman/Judge Dredd crossovers, The Sequential Art of Amanda Conner, the 52 omnibus edition, and the long awaited Fables graphic novel, Werewolves of the Heartland.SUPERMAN VOL. 1: WHAT PRICE TOMORROW?
Written by GEORGE PEREZ
Art by GEORGE PEREZ, JESUS MERINO, NICOLA SCOTT and TREVOR SCOTT
Cover by GEORGE PEREZ
On sale NOVEMBER 14 • 144 pg, FC, $22.99 US
• Metropolis fears him – and The Daily Planet agrees. In this new volume, the young Man of Steel must dodge public scrutiny and stop a monstrous threat to Metropolis – one that he somehow is the cause of!
• Collecting issues #1-6 of the DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 series!
THE FLASH VOL. 1: MOVE FORWARD HC
Written by FRANCIS MANAPUL and BRIAN BUCCELLATO
Art and cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • 192 pg, FC, $24.99 US
• In this first DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 collection of THE FLASH, Mob Rule wages a campaign of crime across Central City, plunging the city into darkness! The only way The Flash can save his city is to make his brain function even faster than before – but as much as it helps him, it also comes at a steep price.
• Collects issues #1-8 of the original monthly series.
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK VOL. 1: IN THE DARK TP
Written by PETER MILLIGAN
Art by MIKEL JANIN
Cover by RYAN SOOK
On sale OCTOBER 10 • 144 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• The Enchantress has unleashed a wave of chaos across the globe! Shade the Changing Man, Madame Xanadu, Deadman, Zatanna, Mindwarp and John Constantine may be our only hope – but how can we trust beings whose very presence makes most people break out in a cold sweat?
• Collecting JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #1-6!
I, VAMPIRE VOL. 1: TAINTED LOVE TP
Written by JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV
Art by ANDREA SORRENTINO
Cover by JENNY FRISON
On sale OCTOBER 3 • 144 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• For centuries, vampire Andrew Bennett kept mankind safe from the supernatural world thanks to a truce he made with his ex-lover Mary, the Queen of Blood. But that truce has reached a bloody end, and Andrew must stop Mary and her forces from going on a killing spree!
• Collecting I, VAMPIRE #1-6!
ALL-STAR WESTERN VOL. 1: GUNS AND GOTHAM TP
Written by JUSTIN GRAY and JIMMY PALMIOTTI
Art by MORITAT, JORDI BERNET and PHIL WINSLADE
Cover by MORITAT
On sale OCTOBER 31 • 192 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• Even when Gotham City was just a one-horse town, crime was rampant – and things only get worse when bounty hunter Jonah Hex comes around in this collection of the DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 series. Amadeus Arkham, a pioneer in criminal psychology, enlists Hex’s special brand of justice to help the Gotham Police Department track down a vicious serial killer!
• Plus: Don’t miss bonus tales of El Diablo and The Barbary Ghost!
• Collects ALL-STAR WESTERN #1-6!
SUPERGIRL VOL. 1: LAST DAUGHTER OF KRYPTON TP
Written by MICHAEL GREEN and MIKE JOHNSON
Art by MAHMUD ASRAR, DAN GREEN and BILL REINHOLD
Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
On sale OCTOBER 17 • 160 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• Crash-landing on a strange new planet, Supergirl must come to grips with Krypton’s destruction and learn about her own past. But an ingenious foe wants the same information – and will do anything to get it.
• Collecting issues #1-7 of the DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 series!
THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN VOL. 1: DARKNESS RISING TP
Written by TONY S. DANIEL and JAMES BONNY
Art and cover by PHILIP TAN
On sale OCTOBER 24 • 192 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• Carter Hall is back as the savage Hawkman! Carter’s skill at deciphering lost languages has led him to a job with an archaeologist who specializes in alien ruins. And his latest discovery is Morphicius, whose deadly power spreads an alien plague through New York City.
• Collecting issues #1-8 of the DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 series
NIGHTWING VOL. 1: TRAPS AND TRAPEZES TP
Written by KYLE HIGGINS
Art by EDDY BARROWS, TREVOR McCARTHY, J.P. MAYER, PAULO SIQUEIRA, EDUARDO PANSICA, EBER FERREIRA and GERALDO BORGES
Cover by EDDY BARROWS
On sale OCTOBER 10 • 160 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• Haly’s Circus, where Dick Grayson once performed, returns to Gotham City – bringing with it murder, mystery and superhuman evil. To uncover more clues to why a mysterious assassin is targeting him, Nightwing joins the circus’s tour. But as Dick becomes reacquainted with the big top he once called home, he learns there are darker secrets to be discovered.
• Collects NIGHTWING #1-7.
DC COMICS: THE SEQUENTIAL ART OF AMANDA CONNER HC
Written by AMANDA CONNER, GEOFF JOHNS, JUSTIN GRAY, JIMMY PALMIOTTI, JUDD WINICK, BARBARA KESEL, CHUCK DIXON, JAI NITZ and TERRY MOORE
Art by AMANDA CONNER and JIMMY PALMIOTTI
Cover by AMANDA CONNER
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • 304 pg, FC, $29.99 US
• Acclaimed artist Amanda Conner, currently illustrating and cowriting BEFORE WATCHMEN: SILK SPECTRE, is the focus of this new hardcover collecting some of her greatest work for DC Comics!
• This spectacular new hardcover features SUPERMAN: LOIS LANE #1, BIRDS OF PREY #47-49, JSA CLASSIFIED #1-4, SUPERGIRL #12, the GREEN ARROW/BLACK CANARY WEDDING SPECIAL, plus stories from SECRET
ORIGINS 80-PAGE GIANT #1, THE JOKER: LAST LAUGH SECRET FILES #1, WONDER WOMAN #600, numerous covers and more!
52 OMNIBUS HC
Written by GEOFF JOHNS, GRANT MORRISON, GREG RUCKA and MARK WAID
Art by KEITH GIFFEN, JOE BENNETT, CHRIS BATISTA, KEN LASHLEY, SHAWN MOLL, TODD NAUCK, EDDY BARROWS, DALE EAGLESHAM, PATRICK OLLIFFE, DREW JOHNSON, GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI, PHIL JIMENEZ, TOM DERENICK, JOE PRADO, DAN JURGENS, JAMAL IGLE, ANDY SMITH, DARICK ROBERTSON and JUSTINIANO
Cover by J.G. JONES
On sale NOVEMBER 14 • 1,216 pg, FC, $150 US
“As addictive as any good TV series, any good mystery-novel series, any good comic book series.” – ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY
“Gripping.” – THE WASHINGTON POST
“A compelling, epic story that wound up saving the world five times over.” – NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
• After INFINITE CRISIS, the DC Universe had its most eventful year ever. It was a year without Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman…but not a year without heroes!
• This massive hardcover collects the entire year-long run of the weekly series 52!
BATMAN: EYE OF THE BEHOLDER TP
Written by TONY S. DANIEL
Art by TONY S. DANIEL, STEVE SCOTT, SANDU FLOREA, RYAN WINN and ANDY SMITH
Cover by TONY S. DANIEL
On sale OCTOBER 31 • 168 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• An aging but wealthy technology developer comes to Gotham City with his beautiful daughter in search of a joint project with WayneTech in this title now in trade paperback!
• When the developer goes missing, Batman finds that his tracks lead to the city’s violent Chinatown, where a deadly gang has taken root.
• Collecting BATMAN #704-707 and 710-712!
THE BATMAN/JUDGE DREDD COLLECTION HC
Written by ALAN GRANT and JOHN WAGNER
Art by SIMON BISLEY, CAM KENNEDY, CARL CRITCHLOW, GLENN FABRY, JIM MURRAY, VAL SEMEIKS and JOHN DELL
Cover by MIKE MIGNOLA
On sale NOVEMBER 21 • 304 pg, FC,$29.99 US
• When Batman crosses paths with the grim and gritty Judge Dredd, things are bound to get ugly! In these tales from the 1990s, the two crimefighters face The Riddler and The Joker and battle extradimensional gladiators.
• Plus: Don’t miss Judge Dredd’s battle with the Main Man himself – Lobo!
• This amazing new hardcover collects BATMAN/JUDGE DREDD: JUDGMENT ON GOTHAM, BATMAN/JUDGE DREDD: VENDETTA IN GOTHAM, BATMAN/JUDGE DREDD: THE ULTIMATE RIDDLE, BATMAN/JUDGE DREDD: DIE LAUGHING #1-2 and LOBO/JUDGE DREDD: PSYCHO BIKERS VS. MUTANTS FROM HELL!
HUNTRESS: CROSSBOW AT THE CROSSROADS TP
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art by MARCUS TO and JOHN DELL
Cover by GUILLEM MARCH
On sale OCTOBER 24 • 144 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• In this adventure set in Italy, Huntress sets out to destroy a deadly human-trafficking and gun-smuggling operation!
• Collecting the 6-issue miniseries leading into WORLDS’ FINEST!
LEGION: SECRET ORIGIN TP
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art by CHRIS BATISTA and MARC DEERING
Cover by TOM FEISTER
On sale OCTOBER 24 • 144 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• In this title collecting the 2011 miniseries, learn why the United Planets was formed, who tried to kill R.J. Brande the first time, what great power could leave entire planets desolate and lifeless, and more!
• Collecting the six-issue miniseries.
GREEN LANTERN CORPS: THE WEAPONER TP
Written by TONY BEDARD
Art and cover by TYLER KIRKHAM and BATT
On sale OCTOBER 17 • 128 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• The Corps is caught in an all-out war between the Sinestro Corps and the Weaponer and Thunderers of Qward.
• Collecting GREEN LANTERN CORPS #53-57.
BIRDS OF PREY VOL. 2: THE DEATH OF ORACLE TP
Written by GAIL SIMONE • Art by ARDIAN SYAF, VICENTE CIFUENTES, GUILLEM MARCH, INAKI MIRANDA, PERE PEREZ, JESUS SAIZ and DIEGO OLMOS • Cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
On sale OCTOBER 10 • 200 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• As Black Canary confronts her inner demons, the Calculator and new villainess Mortis take their revenge on Oracle.
• Collecting issues #7-13!
SUPERMAN/BATMAN: SORCERER KINGS TP
Written by JOE KELLY, CHRIS ROBERSON and CULLEN BUNN
Art by ED BENES, JESUS MERINO, CHRISCROSS and MARC DEERING
Cover by TRAVEL FOREMAN
On sale OCTOBER 3 • 168 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• In these tales from issues #78-84, Superman and Batman fight magical forces from the past and future.
WONDER WOMAN: THE AMAZON PRINCESS ARCHIVES VOL. 1 HC
Written by ROBERT KANIGHER
Art and cover by ROSS ANDRU and MIKE ESPOSITO
ADVANCE SOLICIT • On sale FEBRUARY 27 • 352 pg, FC, $74.99 US
• At last, the wild WONDER WOMAN adventures from the late 1950s are collected in full color in a new ARCHIVES series!
• Collecting WONDER WOMAN #98-110.
SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE FLASH VOL. 4 TP
Written by JOHN BROOME, GARDNER FOX, E. NELSON BRIDWELL, CARY BATES and FRANK ROBBINS
Art by CARMINE INFANTINO, ROSS ANDRU and others
Cover by CARMINE INFANTINO and JOE GIELLA
On sale OCTOBER 24 • 528 pg, B&W, $19.99 US
• The Flash faces Heatwave, Gorilla Grodd and Captain Cold, and meets Green Lantern, Superman and the Golden Age Flash!
• Collects THE FLASH #162-184.
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: THE RISE OF ECLIPSO TP
Written by JAMES ROBINSON
Art by BRETT BOOTH, DANIEL SAMPERE, JESUS MERINO and others
Cover by BRETT BOOTH
On sale OCTOBER 3 • 192 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• Eclipso returns in these tales from JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #54-60 and JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #43.
• Will the combined might of Batman, Donna Troy, Blue Lantern Saint Walker and even the all-powerful Spectre be enough to stop him?
EXTREMELY MORONIC MAD TP
Written and illustrated by THE USUAL GANG OF IDIOTS
On sale OCTOBER 31 • 128 pg, FC, 8.125″ x 10.5″, $12.99 US
Looking for something silly, weird, and flatout idiotic? Look no more! From the magazine that inspired the hit Cartoon Network show comes this new collection of MAD articles that’s guaranteed* to make you laugh, cry, and dance an Irish jig!
*Jig not covered by guarantee.
WORLD OF WARCRAFT: CURSE OF THE WORGEN TP
Written by MICKY NEILSON and JAMES WAUGH
Art by LUDO LULLABI and TONY WASHINGTON
Cover by WEI WANG
On sale OCTOBER 3 • 160 pg, FC, $16.99 US
A series of grisly, animalistic murders has rocked the walled town of Gilneas. A detective sets out to expose the perpetrators and finds more than he bargained for. Collecting the five-issue miniseries!
ASTRO CITY: FAMILY ALBUM NEW EDITION HC and TP
Written by KURT BUSIEK
Art by BRENT ANDERSON and WILL BLYBERG
Cover by ALEX ROSS
Both on sale NOVEMBER 28 • 224 pg, FC
HC: $24.99 US • TP: $16.99 US
Every family has treasured memories… and isn’t that what a family album is for? You’re invited to share in some of Astro City’s greatest memories – from the wonder and terror experienced by a family new in town, to a world-famous super hero’s first day at school, to a crimefighter and his wife facing momentous decisions about the future.
Don’t miss this new edition of the classic ASTRO CITY collection, featuring a new cover by Alex Ross!
STIEG LARSSON’S THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO VOL. 1 HC
Written by DENISE MINA
Art by LEONARDO MANCO and ANDREA MUTTI
Cover by LEE BERMEJO
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • 144 pg, FC, $19.99 US • MATURE READERS
DC Entertainment is pleased to present the official graphic novel adaptation of Stieg Larsson’s “Millennium Trilogy,” brought to life by best-selling mystery novelist Denise Mina and illustrated by Leonardo Manco and Andrea Mutti, with a spectacular cover by Lee Bermejo.
Harriet Vanger, a scion of one of Sweden’s wealthiest families, disappeared over forty years ago. All these years later, her aged uncle continues to seek the truth. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist recently trapped by a libel conviction, to investigate. He is aided by the pierced and tattooed punk prodigy Lisbeth Salander. Together they tap into a vein of unfathomable iniquity and corruption in this extraordinary adaptation of the first half of the international best-selling novel.
FABLES: WEREWOLVES OF THE HEARTLAND HC
Written by BILL WILLINGHAM
Art by JIM FERN, CRAIG HAMILTON, RAY SNYDER and MARK FARMER
Cover by DANIEL DOS SANTOS
RESOLICIT • On sale NOVEMBER 14 • 144 pg, FC, $22.99 US • MATURE READERS
Retailers: This item is resolicited. All previous orders are cancelled.
Bigby Wolf takes center stage in what might be the most action-packed FABLES story to date. Bigby embarks on a quest through the American Heartland to find a new location for Fabletown. In his wanderings, Bigby stumbles across a small town named Story City, that, amazingly enough, seems to be populated by werewolves. Who are they and where did they come from? They aren’t Fables, but they sure aren’t normal mundys. They seem to already know and revere Bigby, but at the same time they’ve captured and caged him – but why? Unraveling the many mysteries of Story City may cost Bigby more than his life.
FABLES DELUXE EDITION BOOK SIX HC
Written by BILL WILLINGHAM
Art by MARK BUCKINGHAM, SHAWN McMANUS, STEVE LEIALOHA, JIM FERN and others
Cover by JAMES JEAN
On sale NOVEMBER 28 • 224 pg, FC, 7.0625″ x 10.875″, $29.99 US • MATURE READERS
In this sixth deluxe FABLES collection, featuring issues #46-51 of the Eisner Award-winning series, the threat of the Adversary looms ever closer as the drums of war begin their steady beat. The Fables prepare for battle, but first they must find their would-be commander: Bigby Wolf!
HELLBLAZER: THE DEVIL’S TRENCH COAT TP
Written by PETER MILLIGAN Art by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI, STEFANO LANDINI and GAEL BERTRAND
Cover by SIMON BISLEY
On sale OCTOBER 10 • 200 pg, FC, $16.99 US • MATURE READERS
When Gemma Masters auctions off her uncle’s signature trench coat, she sets off a horrific chain of events in the life of John Constantine. Bleeding apartment walls, a flatulent demon, a suspicious angel and an old adversary await Constantine as he races to find the coat before it sends him back to Hell! Collected from HELLBLAZER #283-291.
SCALPED VOL. 10: TRAIL’S END TP
Written by JASON AARON
Art by R.M. GUERA
Cover by JOCK
On sale OCTOBER 31 • 128 pg, FC, $14.99 US • MATURE READERS
The final volume of the acclaimed crime series brings together all the threads laid out from the very beginning for a dramatic conclusion years in the making! Collecting SCALPED #56-60.
SPACEMAN DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO
Art by EDUARDO RISSO
Cover by DAVE JOHNSON
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • 224 pg, FC, 7.0625″ x 10.875″, $24.99 US • MATURE READERS
Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso – the Eisner Award-winning creators of 100 BULLETS – return to Vertigo with their new interstellar mystery SPACEMAN, collected here in DC’s Deluxe format.
SPACEMAN tells the story of Orson, a hulking, lonely loser who spends his days collecting scrap metal and dreaming of the star-trekking life he was genetically engineered for. When Orson finds himself at the center of a celebrity child kidnapping case, he sees a chance to raise himself out of his sad life and become a hero, but a hero’s life may not be the life he thought it would be.
This new hardcover collects the entire nine issue miniseries, plus the short story from STRANGE ADVENTURES #1.
SWEET TOOTH VOL. 5: UNNATURAL HABITATS TP
Written by JEFF LEMIRE
Art by JEFF LEMIRE and MATT KINDT
Cover by JEFF LEMIRE
On sale OCTOBER 31 • 160 pg, FC, $14.99 US • MATURE READERS
In this volume collecting issues #26-32, Captain James Thacker’s expedition discovers deadly, centuries-old secrets. Plus, while Jeppard and Gus head for Alaska, things deteriorate for those left at the sanctuary.
THE UNWRITTEN VOL. 6: TOMMY TAYLOR AND THE WAR OF WORDS TP
Written by MIKE CAREY
Art by PETER GROSS, M.K. PERKER, VINCE LOCKE, MICHAEL WM. KALUTA, GARY ERSKINE, BRYAN TALBOT, DEAN ORMSTON, RICK GEARY and GABRIEL HERNANDEZ WALTA
Cover by YUKO SHIMIZU
On sale OCTOBER 17 • 240 pg, FC, $16.99 US • MATURE READERS
In this new volume collecting THE UNWRITTEN #31-35.5 (including all the half issues), Tom Taylor goes to war against the cabal that has tormented, imprisoned and tried to destroy him.