‘Solo’, ‘House of Secrets’ and Siegel & Shuster Superman Omnibuses Among DC Comics Collected Editions for April 2013
It’s time to check out what for many readers is the main event of any comic book shipping schedule: the collected editions, which compile and usually complete comics stories initially serialized monthly in 20-page pamphlet-style comics you totally can’t put on a shelf. Courtesy of DC Comics, Below you will find an advance look at cover artwork and hype copy for new original graphic novels, trade paperbacks, hardcovers and omnibuses coming from DC Comics this April (and in beyond, in some cases), including a deluxe hardcover collecting Solo, the innovative anthology series edited by Mark Chiarello that inspired a 12-part ComicsAlliance feature, as well as omnibus editions of Steven T. Seagle and Teddy Kristiansen’s House of Secrets and the earliest Superman work by creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.BATMAN AND ROBIN VOL. 2: PEARL HC
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art by PATRICK GLEASON, MICK GRAY, LEE GARBETT, ANDY CLARKE and others
Cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
On sale JUNE 5 • 160 pg, FC, $22.99 US
• After the events of BATMAN & ROBIN
VOLUME 1: BORN TO KILL, it’s obvious that Damian has a long way to go before he’ll be accepted into Gotham City’s crimefighting family. Will Damian ever be able to live up to the standards that Nightwing, Red Robin and Red Hood set before him?
• After a battle with the former Robins, can Damian’s convictions stand up to a confrontation with the Dark Knight’s greatest foe: The Joker?
• Collects BATMAN AND ROBIN #9-14 and 0.
AQUAMAN VOL. 1: THE TRENCH TP
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art by IVAN REIS, JOE PRADO and EBER FERREIRA
Cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
On sale MAY 15 • 144 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• The first collection of the new AQUAMAN series, now in trade paperback!
• The superstar creators from BLACKEST NIGHT and BRIGHTEST DAY reunite to take AQUAMAN to amazing new depths!
• AQUAMAN has renounced the throne of Atlantis – but now, from a forgotten corner of the ocean emerges…THE TRENCH!
• Collecting AQUAMAN #1-6!
THE PHANTOM STRANGER VOL. 1: A STRANGER AMONG US TP
Written by DAN DIDIO and J.M. DeMATTEIS
Art by BRENT ANDERSON, PHILIP TAN and SCOTT HANNA
Cover by BRENT ANDERSON
On sale MAY 29 • 144 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• Who has been sacrificed? Who is guilty? Who can save us? And who is The Phantom Stranger? Cursed for a betrayal that affected the very course of history, the Stranger walks the Earth attempting to atone for his sins. His actions have consequences, and as he fulfills his duty, the people he encounters will never be the same.
• Collecting THE PHANTOM STRANGER #0-5.
GRIFTER VOL. 2: NEWFOUND POWER TP
Written by ROB LIEFELD and FRANK TIERI
Art by SCOTT CLARK, MARAT MYCHAELS and others
Cover by ROB LIEFELD
On sale MAY 22 • 208 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• GRIFTER faces off against the DAEMONITES alongside DEATHBLOW and VOODOO! But the super-weapon in the fight against Helspont proves to be more than even Grifter can handle!
• Collecting GRIFTER #9-16 and 0.
DEMON KNIGHTS VOL. 2: THE AVALON TRAP TP
Written by PAUL CORNELL
Art by BERNARD CHANG, DIOGENES NEVES and others
Cover by MICHAEL CHOI
On sale MAY 22 • 160 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• The Demon Knights learn of the twisted love shared by Madame Xanadu and Etrigan. Even more twists abound as they travel to Avalon to revive Merlin, only to find more dangers than they could have expected!
• Collects DEMON KNIGHTS #0 and 8-12.
THE RAVAGERS VOL. 1: THE KIDS FROM N.O.W.H.E.R.E. TP
Written by HOWARD MACKIE and TOM DeFALCO
Art by IAN CHURCHILL, TOM RANEY, DANIEL SAMPERE, JULIUS GOPEZ, TYLER KIRKHAM and others
Cover by IAN CHURCHILL
On sale MAY 8 • 176 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• Spinning directly out of DC’s “The Culling” crossover! Fairchild, brother and sister Thunder and Lightning, the monstrous Ridge, Beast Boy, and Terra are being pursued by Rose Wilson and Warblade, who want them dead at any cost. But even as they run from their enemies, these strangers turned allies have to contend with each other as well.
• Collects THE RAVAGERS #1-7.
SUPERMAN VOL. 2: SECRETS AND LIES HC
Written by DAN JURGENS, KEITH GIFFEN, SCOTT LOBDELL and FABIAN NICIEZA
Art by DAN JURGENS, JESUS MERINO, KENNETH ROCAFORT, PASCAL ALIXE and others
Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT
On sale JUNE 26 • 176 pg, FC, $24.99 US
• Tucked away high in the Himalayas, a long dormant evil has made these snowy mountaintops its home. Helspont, a descendant of the ancient alien race of Daemonites, has enlisted an army of robots to obtain all there is to know about the Kryptonian menace standing between him and dominion over the Earth. Can Helspont gain control over Superman and use him to execute his invasion plan?
• Collects SUPERMAN #7-12 and SUPERMAN ANNUAL #1.
SUPERMAN: ACTION COMICS VOL. 1 – SUPERMAN AND THE MEN OF STEEL TP
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Backup stories written by SHOLLY FISCH
Art by RAGS MORALES, ANDY KUBERT, BRENT ANDERSON, RICK BRYANT, JESSE DELPERDANG and SEAN PARSONS
Backup stories art by BRAD WALKER and CHRISCROSS
Cover by RAGS MORALES
On sale MAY 1 • 200 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• The first collection of GRANT MORRISON’S epic run on ACTION COMICS, with art by RAGS MORALES, ANDY KUBERT and more!
• In these startling tales, the people of METROPOLIS turn on their new champion! Plus, the SUPERMAN of today and the LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES must save the jeans-wearing Superman of five years ago!
• Collects ACTION COMICS #1-8.
SUPERBOY VOL. 2: EXTRACTION TP
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL and TOM DeFALCO
Art by R.B. SILVA, BRETT BOOTH and others
Cover by IAN CHURCHILL
On sale MAY 29 • 160 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• When the organization known as N.O.W.H.E.R.E. captures Superboy, the Teen Titans and Legion Lost and pits the young heroes against each other to weed out the weak, it will take everything Superboy has to save himself and his new friends from each other.
• Collects SUPERBOY #0 and 8-12 and TEEN TITANS #10.
LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES VOL. 2: THE DOMINATORS TP
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art by STEVE LIGHTLE, YILDIRAY CINAR, FRANCIS PORTELA, SCOTT KOLINS and others
Cover by STEVE LIGHTLE
On sale MAY 8 • 192 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• One of the Legion’s oldest foes returns and plans to destroy the Legion of Super-Heroes from the inside out! The Dominators have kidnapped Braniac 5 and Dream Girl, and it’s up to Star Boy to rescue them!
• Collects LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #8-14 and 0.
ABSOLUTE SUPERMAN/BATMAN VOL. 1 HC
Written by JEPH LOEB
Art by ED McGUINNESS, DEXTER VINES, PAT LEE and MICHAEL TURNER
Cover by ED McGUINNESS and DEXTER VINES
Advance solicit • On sale AUGUST 14 • 336 pg, FC, 8.25″ x 12.5″, $99.99 US
• Collecting the best-selling run of SUPERMAN/BATMAN written by Jeph Loeb, with art by Ed McGuinness, Michael Turner and Pat Lee!
• The iconic Super Heroes unite when Lex Luthor, now president of the United States, accuses Superman of a crime against humanity, and assembles a top-secret team of powerhouse heroes to bring Superman in-dead or alive. And in the second story, prepare for the arrival of Supergirl! Batman has discovered something strange on the bottom of Gotham Bay, which leads him to a mysterious and powerful teenaged girl bent on destroying Gotham City!
• Collecting SUPERMAN/BATMAN #1-13.
BATMAN: DEATH BY DESIGN TP
“A fantastic period piece about architecture, politics, and murder.”-Publishers Weekly
“Both awe-inspiring and regal.”-IGN
Written by CHIP KIDD
Art and cover by DAVE TAYLOR
On sale MAY 8 • 112 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• In this original graphic novel from superstar writer/designer Chip Kidd and artist Dave Taylor, Gotham City is undergoing one of the most expansive construction booms in its history. The most prestigious architects from across the globe have buildings in various phases of completion all over town. As chairman of the Gotham Landmarks Commission, Bruce Wayne has been a key part of this boom, which signals a golden age of architectural ingenuity for the city. And then, the explosions begin.
• All manner of design-related malfunctions-faulty crane calculations, sturdy materials suddenly collapsing, software glitches, walkways giving way and more-cause casualties across the city. This bizarre string of seemingly random catastrophes threatens to bring down the whole construction industry. Fingers are pointed as Batman must somehow solve the problem and find whoever is behind it all.
SOLO DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by DARWYN COOKE, JEPH LOEB, BRIAN AZZARELLO, RICHARD CORBEN, TIM SALE, JOHN ARCUDI, HOWARD CHAYKIN, MICHAEL ALLRED, NEIL GAIMAN, STEVEN T. SEAGLE, SERGIO ARAGONES, MARK EVANIER, BRENDAN McCARTHY and others
Art by TIM SALE, RICHARD CORBEN, PAUL POPE, HOWARD CHAYKIN, DARWYN COOKE, JORDI BERNET, MICHAEL ALLRED, TEDDY KRISTIANSEN, SCOTT HAMPTON, DAMION SCOTT, SERGIO ARAGONES and BRENDAN McCARTHY
Cover by TIM SALE
On sale JUNE 5 • 568 pg, FC, 7.0625″ x 10.875″, $49.99 US
• At last, the acclaimed 12-issue series SOLO is collected, featuring the work of some of comics’ greatest creators, including Darwyn Cooke, Tim Sale, Paul Pope and so many others. With stories starring Batman, Robin, Superman, The Spectre, The Teen Titans and more, as well as westerns, war stories, science fiction epics, humor and horror, this is a collection you won’t want to miss!
• Collects SOLO #1-12.
STORMWATCH VOL. 2 HC
Written by WARREN ELLIS
Art by TOM RANEY, RANDY ELLIOTT, OSCAR JIMENEZ, BRYAN HITCH, PAUL NEARY and others
Cover by BRYAN HITCH and PAUL NEARY
RESOLICIT • On sale JUNE 12 • 384 pg, FC, $29.99 US
Retailers: This title is resolicited. All previous orders are cancelled.
• Warren Ellis concludes his run on Stormwatch, redefining the team and introducing new members including the powerhouse Apollo and brutal Midnighter. But when disaster strikes in the form of alien creatures, can the team survive? Plus, Ellis introduces the concept of The Bleed, the fabric between realities that becomes a major aspect of the Wildstorm and DC Universe!
• Collecting STORMWATCH #48, 49 and #1-11.
IN THE DAYS OF THE MOB HC
Written by JACK KIRBY
Art by JACK KIRBY, VINCE COLLETTA and MIKE ROYER
Cover by JACK KIRBY and FRANK GIACOIA
ADVANCE SOLICIT • On sale AUGUST 7 • 108 pg, B&W, 10″ x 13.5″, $39.99 US
• After arriving at DC Comics at the start of the 1970s, one of Jack Kirby’s first projects was the black and white magazine IN THE DAYS OF THE MOB, which featured stories of organized crime in the 1930s. Now, this hard-to-find magazine is reprinted for the first time!
• Collects IN THE DAYS OF THE MOB #1 and stories from AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS #1 and 10.
BATMAN BEYOND: 10,000 CLOWNS TP
Written by ADAM BEECHEN
Art by NORM BREYFOGLE
Cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
On sale MAY 15 • 176 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• When the Jokerz gang, a group of criminals inspired by the Clown Prince of Crime, launches a series of coordinated attacks all around the town, Terry McGinnis can only save so many people. Who can he turn to for help?
• Collects stories from BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #1-13.
JUSTICE LEAGUE BEYOND: KONSTRICTION TP
Written by DEREK FRIDOLFS and DUSTIN NGUYEN
Art by DUSTIN NGUYEN and DEREK FRIDOLFS
Cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
On sale MAY 15 • 176 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• Batman is a new recruit in the mighty Justice League, but the team will be immediately tested by a very Neo Gotham-related enemy! How will they work together to combat this threat?
• Collects stories from BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #1-10.
WATCHMEN DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by ALAN MOORE
Art and cover by DAVE GIBBONS
On sale MAY 29 • 448 pg, FC, 7.0625″ x 10.875″, $39.99 US
• In the mid-eighties, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons created WATCHMEN, changing the course of comics’ history and essentially remaking how popular culture perceived the genre. Popularly cited as the point where comics came of age, WATCHMEN’s sophisticated take on superheroes has been universally acclaimed for its psychological depth and realism. Now, DC collects this series in the popular Deluxe Edition format.
• Includes sketches, bonus material and a new introduction by artist Dave Gibbons.
• Collects WATCHMEN #1-12.
THE CAPTAIN COMET ARCHIVES HC
Written by JOHN BROOME, GERRY CONWAY and others
Art by CARMINE INFANTINO, MURPHY ANDERSON and others
Cover by CARMINE INFANTINO
ADVANCE SOLICIT • On sale AUGUST 21 • 400 pg, FC, $75.00 US
• Captain Comet faces alien invasions and weird monsters from distant worlds in these stories from DC’s classic science fiction series STRANGE ADVENTURES, as well as his 1970s adventures!
• Collects STRANGE ADVENTURES #9-44, 46 and 49, and SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #2-6.
THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA CHRONICLES VOL. 1 TP
Written by GARDNER FOX
Art by MIKE SEKOWSKY, BERNARD SACHS and others
Cover by MIKE SEKOWSKY and MURPHY ANDERSON
On sale MAY 22 • 168 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• Presenting the adventures of the JLA in chronological order! Learn how the team first gathered to battle the intergalactic conqueror Starro!
• Collects THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #28-30 and JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1-3.
SUPERMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC
Written by JERRY SIEGEL
Art by JOE SHUSTER and others
Cover by DARWYN COOKE
On sale JUNE 5 • 784 pg, FC, $75.00 US
• The early adventures of Superman are collected in one massive hardcover as he battles social injustice and political corruption, fighting for the common man. Includes the first appearances of Lois Lane and Lex Luthor.
• Collecting stories from ACTION COMICS #1-31, NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR #1, NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR 1940, and SUPERMAN #1-7.
SUPERMAN EARTH ONE TP
“A modern, youthful take on the iconic superhero….”-USA TODAY
“A brilliant, breathing world of consequence…Masterful…truly extraordinary”-AIN’T IT COOL NEWS
“A Superman for a new generation.”-THE HUFFINGTON POST
Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI
Art and cover by SHANE DAVIS and SANDRA HOPE
On sale MAY 1 • 136 pg, FC, $12.99 US
• Forget everything you know about The Man of Steel and brace yourself for a staggering new take on the world’s most popular Super Hero.
• What would happen if the origin of The Man of Tomorrow were introduced today for the very first time? Return to Smallville and experience the journey of Earth’s favorite adopted son as he grows from boy to Superman like you’ve never seen before!
GET JIRO! TP
“This is a masterpiece, and should be served in fine bookstores and restaurants everywhere.”-CRIME SPREE
“One of the year’s most unusual comic-book projects, and also one of the most fun.”-The AV CLUB
“Bourdain does a great job here, often letting Foss’ detailed artwork do the storytelling. I’d gladly read another Bourdain comic.”-USA TODAY/POP CANDY
“If you love food and comics, getting GET JIRO! is a no-brainer.”- Ain’t It Cool News
“This is such a good read. It’s really funny, it’s really cool.”-JIMMY FALLON/LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON
Written by ANTHONY BOURDAIN and JOEL ROSE
Art and cover by LANGDON FOSS
On sale MAY 1 • 160 pg, FC, $14.99 US • MATURE READERS
Don’t miss this original graphic novel from Anthony Bourdain, renowned chef, New York Times bestselling author (Kitchen Confidential, Medium Raw) and star of the Emmy-winning hit travel show No Reservations and the new series The Layover! Cowritten with Joel Rose (LA PACIFICA, Kill Kill Faster Faster) this stylized send-up of food culture and society features spectacular detailed and dynamic art by Langdon Foss.
In a not-too-distant future of food-obsessed L.A., where master chefs rule the town like crime lords and people literally kill for a seat at the best restaurant, Jiro, a renegade and ruthless sushi chef arrives in town with strong ideas of his own. It’s a bloody culinary war of epic proportions, and in the end, no chef may be left alive!
HOUSE OF SECRETS OMNIBUS HC
Written by STEVEN T. SEAGLE
Art by TEDDY KRISTIANSEN, DUNCAN FEGREDO, DEAN ORMSTON and others
Cover by TEDDY KRISTIANSEN
RESOLICIT • On sale APRIL 10 • 752 pg, FC, $75.00 US • MATURE READERS
In this hardcover collecting HOUSE OF SECRETS #1-25, a story from VERTIGO: WINTER’S EDGE #1 and the 2-part FAÇADE miniseries, teenage runaway Rain Harper becomes part of a supernatural justice system in a haunted mansion. Five spirits known as the Juris summon people to judge them for their secrets. Acting as a “witness,” Rain must try to save the defendants from their sentences.
Retailers: This title is resolicited. All current orders are cancelled.
LUCIFER BOOK ONE TP
Written by MIKE CAREY
Art by SCOTT HAMPTON, CHRIS WESTON, JAMES HODGKINS, WARREN PLEECE, DEAN ORMSTON, PETER GROSS and RYAN KELLY
Cover by SCOTT HAMPTON
On sale MAY 29 • 392 pg, FC, $29.99 US • MATURE READERS
Cast out of Heaven, Lucifer Morningstar has resigned his throne in Hell for Los Angeles. Emerging from the pages of THE SANDMAN, the former Lord of Hell is enjoying retirement as the proprietor of L.A.’s most elite piano bar when an assignment from the Creator Himself threatens to change all that. Collects THE SANDMAN PRESENTS: LUCIFER #1-3 and LUCIFER #1-13.c