DC Comics and Vertigo Graphic Novels and Collected Editions On Sale In October 2012 [Solitications]
Having taken a look at October's periodical releases from DC's New 52, Vertigo, Before Watchmen and DC Kids lines, it's time to check out what for many readers is the main event of any comic book shipping schedule: the collected editions, which compile and usually complete comics stories initially serialized monthly in 20-page pamphlet-style comics you totally can't put on a shelf. Below you will find the cover artwork and hype copy for new original graphic novels, trade paperbacks, hardcovers and omnibuses coming from DC Comics and Vertigo this September (and in beyond, in some cases).RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS VOL. 1: REDEMPTION TP
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art and cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • 160 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• Collecting issues #1-7 of the DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 series!
• The Red Hood is cornered by Green Arrow's rejected sidekick Arsenal and the alien Starfire – and they want him to lead them as a crimefighting team!
• Together, they're about to face threats including The Untitled, Crux and the superassassin known as Essence!
BLACKHAWKS VOL. 1: THE GREAT LEAP FORWARD TP
Written by MIKE COSTA
Art by KEN LASHLEY, GRAHAM NOLAN, CAFU and others
Cover by KEN LASHLEY
On sale NOVEMBER 21 • 192 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• Collecting issues #1-8 of the DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 series!
• In a new war, the enemy is hard to find – and closer to home than we think! Our only hope is the Blackhawks, an elite fighting force equipped with cutting-edge weapons and vehicles.
BLUE BEETLE VOL. 1: METAMORPHOSIS TP
Written by TONY BEDARD
Art by IG GUARA, MARCIO TAKARA, RUY JOSE and J.P. MAYER
Cover by TYLER KIRKHAM and SAL REGLA
On sale NOVEMBER 14 • 144 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• Jaime Reyes is the new Blue Beetle in this title collecting issues #1-6 of the DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 series!
• Can this teen hero turn an alien weapon of mass destruction into a force for good? And can he protect the scarab from the Super-Villains who want it for their own nefarious purposes?
DC COMICS - THE NEW 52 ZERO OMNIBUS HC
Written by VARIOUS
Art by VARIOUS
Cover by JOE PRADO and IVAN REIS
On sale DECEMBER 12 • 1,328 pg, FC, $150.00 US
• In September, DC Entertainment reveals the origins, secrets and shocking fates of top Super Heroes in 56 special #0 issues starring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern and more!
• Now, these issues are collected in a massive hardcover just in time for the holiday season, with stories written and illustrated by top talent including Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Jim Lee, Brian Azzarello, Scott Snyder and many more!
DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS VOL. 1: DEADMAN/CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN TP
Written by PAUL JENKINS, DAN DIDIO and JERRY ORDWAY
Art by BERNARD CHANG, JERRY ORDWAY and others
Cover by RYAN SOOK
On sale NOVEMBER 28 • 192 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• Collecting issues #1-8 of the DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 series!
• Don't miss these adventures of Deadman as he gains some control over his ethereal existence! Plus: June, the sole surviving member of The Challengers of the Unknown, must deal with the monstrous return of one of their own!
CAPTAIN ATOM VOL. 1: EVOLUTION TP
Written by J.T. KRUL
Art by FREDDIE E. WILLIAMS II
Cover by STANLEY "ARTGERM" LAU
On sale NOVEMBER 28 • 144 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• Collecting issues #1-6 of the DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 series!
• Captain Atom is taking his powers to new heights – saving people all across the world in the blink of an eye. But is he losing control of his powers, making him a threat to the planet?
JLA: EARTH II TP NEW PRINTING
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art and cover by FRANK QUITELY
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • 96 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• The powerful original graphic novel from the ALL-STAR SUPERMAN team of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely is back in print!
• Ultraman, Owlman, Power Ring, and Johnny Quick rule their world without opposition. But their world is about to be threatened by the arrival of Superman, Batman and the Justice League!
• Realities clash in this mind-bending epic!
GREEN LANTERN: SECTOR 2814 VOL. 1 TP
Written by LEN WEIN
Art by DAVE GIBBONS, DICK GIORDANO, MARK FARMER and MIKE DeCARLO
Cover by DAVE GIBBONS
On sale NOVEMBER 14 • 192 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• Collecting GREEN LANTERN #172-176 and 178-181, featuring stories rom 1984 by Len Wein and art by Dave Gibbons!
• Don't miss Hal Jordan's battles with some of his greatest foes and hisclash with the Guardians of the Universe!
JUST IMAGINE STAN LEE CREATING THE DC UNIVERSE OMNIBUS HC
Written by STAN LEE and MICHAEL USLAN
Art by JIM LEE, CHRIS BACHALO, DARWYN COOKE, DAVE GIBBONS, JOSE LUIS GARCIALOPEZ, GARY FRANK, KANO, JERRY ORDWAY, JOE KUBERT, JOHN BUSCEMA, KYLE BAKER, MICHAEL WM. KALUTA, JOHN BYRNE, TERRY AUSTIN, JOHN SEVERIN, STUART IMMONEN, KEVIN MAGUIRE, SERGIO ARAGONES, SCOTT McDANIEL, WALTER SIMONSON, DAN JURGENS, RICHARD CORBEN and others
Cover by ADAM HUGHES
On sale DECEMBER 5 • 672 pg, FC, $75.00 US
• The entire JUST IMAGINE STAN LEE CREATING THE DC UNIVERSE event from 2001 is collected in hardcover for the first time!
• Don't miss Stan "The Man" Lee's startlingly different visions of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, The Sandman, the Justice League of America and more, in collaboration with cowriter Michael Uslan and dozens of top comics artists!
KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC
Written by JACK KIRBY, GERRY CONWAY and PAUL LEVITZ
Art by JACK KIRBY, D. BRUCE BERRY and MIKE ROYER
Cover by JACK KIRBY and D. BRUCE BERRY
On sale DECEMBER 12 • 416 pg, FC, $49.99 US
• Collecting KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH #21-40!
• In this final futuristic volume, Kamandi faces danger from a giant crab creature and an intelligent killer whale, is hunted by the Sacker Company, and is forced to compete for the ultimate prize: Superman's costume!
THE METAL MEN ARCHIVES VOL. 2 HC
Written by ROBERT KANIGHER
Art and cover by ROSS ANDRU and MIKE ESPOSITO
Advance solicited • On sale MARCH 6 • 400 pg, FC, $74.99 US
• In these tales from METAL MAN #6-20, the team takes on the Gas Gang, including Helium, Oxygen, Chloroform and more, saves lives at the "Playground of Terror," tries to stop the deadly rain of The Missile Men, and battle Chemo!
BATMAN: ARKHAM UNHINGED HC
Written by MARLY HALPERN-GLASER, PAUL CROCKER, SEFTON HILL, DEREK FRIDOLFS and PAUL DINI
Art by MIKE S. MILLER, SIMON COLEBY, PETE WOODS,
AL BARRIONUEVO, JUAN JOSE RYP and others
Cover by DAVE WILKINS
On sale DECEMBER 5 • 160 pg, FC, $22.99 US
• Collects BATMAN: ARKHAM UNHINGED #1-5!
• Inspired by the best-selling videogame Batman: Arkham City, these tales feature the evil of Hugo Strange, Harley Quinn, The Joker, Mr. Freeze, The Penguin, Hammer and Sickle and more!
BATMAN: THE BLACK MIRROR TP
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Art by JOCK and FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA
Cover by JOCK
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • 304 pg, FC, $16.99 US
• Originally published in DETECTIVE COMICS #871-877, this epic from the writer of BATMAN, SWAMP THING and AMERICAN VAMPIRE forces Batman to confront one of Gotham City's oldest evils!
• Plus: The corpse of a killer whale shows up on the floor of one of Gotham City's foremost banks, setting a deadly mystery in motion!
SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD'S FINEST VOL. 4 TP
Written by CARY BATES, JIM SHOOTER, DENNIS O'NEIL, MIKE FRIEDRICH, ROBERT KANIGHER, BOB HANEY and others
Art by NEAL ADAMS, CURT SWAN, DICK DILLIN, ROSS ANDRU and others
Cover by CURT SWAN and NEAL ADAMS
On sale NOVEMBER 21 • 520 pg, B&W, $19.99 US
• A new, value-priced volume collecting WORLD'S FINEST COMICS #174-178, 180-187, 189-196 and 198-202!
• In these classic team-up tales, Superman and Batman are tormented by a mysterious villain, a villain steals Superman's secret identity, Superman races The Flash and much more!
THE WONDER WOMAN CHRONICLES VOL. 3 TP
Written by WILLIAM MOULTON MARSTON
Art by HARRY G. PETER and FRANK GODWIN
Cover by H.G. PETER
On sale NOVEMBER 28 • 168 pg, FC, $14.99 US
• Collects WONDER WOMAN #4-5 and stories from SENSATION COMICS #15-18 and COMIC CAVALCADE #2!
• In these 1940s adventures collected in chronological order, Wonder Woman battles German spies, the mysterious Mole Men and Dr. Psycho!
THE NEW TEEN TITANS: GAMES TP
Written by MARV WOLFMAN and GEORGE PEREZ
Art by GEORGE
PEREZ, MIKE PERKINS and AL VEY
Cover by GEORGE PEREZ
On sale NOVEMBER 14 • 144 pg, 8.125" x 10.812", FC, $16.99 US
• At last, the original graphic novel over 20 years in the making from THE NEW TEEN TITANS team of Marv Wolfman and George Perez is available in trade paperback!
• In this epic story, a mysterious villain plays a deadly game with New York City as the gameboard – and the Teen Titans as the pieces!
THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN: GIL KANE HC
Written by GIL KANE, MARTIN PASKO, BOB ROZAKIS, MARV WOLFMAN, CARY BATES, ROY THOMAS and JOEY CAVALIERI
Art and cover by GIL KANE
On sale DECEMBER 26 • 392 pg, FC, $39.99 US
• Collected from SUPERMAN #367, 372, 375, ACTION COMICS #539- 541, 544, 545, 546 and 551-554, SUPERMAN SPECIAL #1, 2 and DC COMICS PRESENTS ANNUAL #3, these stories spotlight the dynamic artwork of Gil Kane!
• Features guest-appearances by heroes including The Flash, The Atom, The Teen Titans, Hawkman and Animal Man!
YOUNG JUSTICE VOL. 2: TRAINING DAY TP
Written by KEVIN HOPPS and GREG WEISMAN
Art by CHRISTOPHER JONES, LUCIANO VECCHIO and DAN DAVIS
Cover by CHRISTOPHER JONES
On sale NOVEMBER 14 • 160 pg, FC, $12.99 US
• Superboy, Robin, Kid Flash, Aqualad, Miss Martian and Artemis defend Gotham City from Ra's al Ghul and Clayface!
• Features issues #7-13 of the all ages series.
GEARS OF WAR BOOK THREE HC
Written by KAREN TRAVISS and JOSHUA ORTEGA
Art by LEONARDO MANCO, COLIN WILSON, JULIIUS GOPEZ and POP MHAN
Cover by COLIN WILSON
On sale DECEMBER 26 • 256 pg, FC, $24.99 US
The best-selling Epic Games franchise continues with these tales from issues #14-24 featuring the story "Dirty Little Secrets" from best-selling author Karen Traviss that bridges the gap between the Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3 video games.
FAIREST VOL. 1: WIDE AWAKE TP
Written by BILL WILLINGHAM
Art by PHIL JIMENEZ and ANDY LANNING
Cover by ADAM HUGHES
On sale NOVEMBER 21 • 160 pg, FC, $14.99 US • MATURE READERS
In this first FAIREST TP, collecting issues #1-7, Sleeping Beauty has been awakened again by true love's kiss. But the thief Ali Baba doesn't seem a likely candidate for knowing true love from a day-old cruller. So how did this kiss work? Plus: Briar Rose captured by the Snow Queen! Seven good fairy godmothers and one really bad one! And much more!
HELLBLAZER VOL. 4: FAMILY MAN TP NEW EDITION
Written by JAMIE DELANO, GRANT MORRISON, NEIL GAIMAN and DICK FOREMAN
Art by DAVID LLOYD, DAVE McKEAN, MARK BUCKINGHAM, SEAN PHILLIPS and others
Cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
On sale NOVEMBER 14 • 288 pg, FC, $19.99 US • MATURE READERS
In this new volume collecting HELLBLAZER #23-33, a twist of fate sends John Constantine into the path of a serial killer called the Family Man, who forces the con man mage to make a shattering choice.
A FLIGHT OF ANGELS TP
Written by HOLLY BLACK, BILL WILLINGHAM, ALISA KWITNEY, LOUISE HAWES and T.D. MITCHELL
Conceived by REBECCA GUAY
Art and cover by REBECCA GUAY
On sale NOVEMBER 28 • 128 pg, FC, $17.99 US • MATURE READERS
ANGELS: Guardians. Messengers. Warriors. Fallen.
All these angelic aspects and more are explored in A FLIGHT OF ANGELS, a riveting tale in the tradition of The Decameron and The Canterbury Tales. A mysterious angel plummets to Earth and lands deep in a dark forest, where his dying body is found by the mystical denizens of this strange place. As the gathered fauns, fairies, hags and hobgoblins debate what to do with him, each tells a different story of who they imagine this celestial creature to be: a hero, a lover, a protector or a killer. Once the stories have been told, a verdict is rendered – and the outcome will leave you breathless. Conceived and stunningly illustrated by fantasy art legend Rebecca Guay (Magic: The Gathering, Veils), A FLIGHT OF ANGELS is written by an all-star lineup of today's top fantasy talent, including Bill Willingham (FABLES) and Holly Black (The Spiderwick Chronicles) in tales that will grip your heart and make your imagination soar.
SAUCER COUNTRY VOL. 1: RUN TP
Written by PAUL CORNELL
Art by RYAN KELLY, GORAN SUDZUKA and JIMMY BROXTON • Cover by RYAN KELLY
On sale NOVEMBER 21 • 144 pg, FC, $14.99 US • MATURE READERS
In this first SAUCER COUNTRY TP, collecting issues #1-6 of the series and a story from STRANGE ADVENTURES #1, meet Arcadia Alvarado, Governor of New Mexico and Presidential hopeful, who says she was abducted by aliens. She's already dealing with immigration, budget cuts and an alcoholic ex – and now she's determined to win the election so she can expose the truth about the aliens – and save the world.
THE SANDMAN VOL. 10: THE WAKE TP NEW EDITION
Written by NEIL GAIMAN
Art by MICHAEL ZULLI, JON J MUTH and CHARLES VESS
Cover by DAVE McKEAN
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • 192 pg, FC, $19.99 US • MATURE READERS
In the final Sandman tales from issues #70-75 of the acclaimed horror series, Morpheus makes the ultimate decision between change and death. As one journey for the Endless ends, another begins for the Lord of Dreams and his family. All the pieces come together for the final moments of THE SANDMAN.
THE SANDMAN SLIPCASE WITH VOL. 10 TP
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • FC, 3.375" x 10.3125", $22.99 US • MATURE READERS
Also offered is this special edition of THE SANDMAN SLIPCASE, which ships with just the new edition of VOL. 10: THE WAKE TP inside.
RETURN TO PERDITION TP
Written by MAX ALLAN COLLINS
Art by TERRY BEATTY
Cover by LEE BERMEJO
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • 192 pg, B&W, 5.5" x 8", $14.99 US • MATURE READERS
In this new chapter of the graphic novel series that inspired the Academy Award-winning movie, our hero, Michael Satariano, Jr. is unaware of the conflict between his dad, his grandfather and John Looney – the criminal godfather of Rock Island, Illinois. Now, he's going to learn you can't outrun (or outgun) your past when he's recruited by the mob as a hit man.