NBM Turns 30 AT Comic-Con
NBM Publishing will celebrate its 30th anniversary at Comic-Con International: San Diego. The fun will include:
• An NBM panel with artists and writers Rick Geary (A Treasury of Victorian Murder), Chad Michael Ward (Autopsyrotica), Rob Vollmar (Bluesman and The Castaways), David Axe (the award-winning War Fix), superstar artist Bryan Talbot, and maybe some surprise guests! During the panel, NBM publisher Terry Nantier plans to announce upcoming projects. Plus, NBM will serve birthday cake to con-goers who attend the panel. It’s all on Saturday, July 28, from 5 to 6 p.m. in the convention’s Room 8 (on the upper level, not far from the Sails Pavilion).
• Signings by NBM creators at the company’s exhibit-hall booth. NBM is in Booth #1528, near the Small Press Pavilion and the Bayside Lobby at the back of Exhibit Hall B.
• The Eisner Awards – the comic-book Oscars. Lewis Trondheim, creator of the dark comedy Mr. I, is a nominee for Best Writer/Artist – Humor. The category of Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (Interior Art) includes Nicolas De Crecy for Glacial Period. Other NBM-related nominees include Rick Geary, Joann Sfar, and Stefano Gaudiano. The awards ceremony will take place on the evening of July 27.
Comic-Con International is North America’s largest comic-book and pop-culture event, with more than 100,000 attendees and worldwide coverage in the news media. Its website, www.comic-con.org/cci, has more information.
NBM -independent publisher of comics ranging from Milton Caniff’s Terry and the Pirates to Milo Manara’s erotica – began producing graphic novels in 1977. NBM’s 150-plus works have collectively sold over 200,000 copies per year and include such best-sellers as:
• Richard Moore’s spooky-funny Boneyard
• Ted Rall’s travelogue and political commentary Silk Road to Ruin
• Luis Royo’s Visions, Dreams, Secrets, and other fantasy art books
Recently, NBM has announced:
• A new set of Mutt & Jeff reprints for the comic strip’s 100th anniversary.
• The return of Lewis Trondheim and Joann Sfar’s adventure-comedy Dungeon.
• Foreword magazine’s Book of the Year award for War Fix by David Axe and Steve Olexa.
• The optioning of Rob Vollmar and Pablo Callejo’s Bluesman for film.
• The Young Adult Library Services Association’s nomination of War Fix, The Case of Madeleine Smith, Brownsville, Trailers, and The Life of Pope John Paul II to its list of Great Graphic Novels.