British Comic Awards Reveal 2014 Judging Panel With Jonathan Ross, Jessica Hynes, More
Here in the UK, the advent of November means one thing to comics folk: Thought Bubble. Britain's premier comics festival will once again see a host of international comic stars -- Jillian Tamaki, Emily Carroll, Scott Snyder, Boulet, Tim Sale, Jeff Lemire, Emma Rios, Becky Cloonan, Jason Aaron, Vanesa R. Del Rey (to name a few) -- rub shoulders with Britain's finest: Joe Decie, Dan Berry, Isabel Greenberg, Warwick Johnson-Cadwell, Mike Carey, and more. With it comes the approach of the British Comic Awards, now in their third year and conceived by founder Adam Cadwell with an aim to recognize the very best in UK comics. The awards are an annual celebration that take place on the Saturday evening after the first day of the con, and consist of five categories: best comic, best book, emerging talent, young people's comic award, and the hall of fame.
Longlists are compiled after a period of open nomination in which artists and the public can submit work, with shortlists and a Hall of Fame Entrant then determined by the British Comic Awards committee. The final winners for the best comic, book, and emerging talent categories are chosen by a panel of judges (the young people's comic award is selected by children from a range of participating schools). The judges for this year's British Comic Awards are:
- Jonathan Entwistle: a film director currently developing a UK based adaptation of Charles Forsman's The End of the Fucking World (or TEOTFW).
- Jessica Hynes: An award winning actor and writer known to many as Daisy Steiner from the influential sitcom Spaced.
- Danny John-Jules: An actor, singer and dancer who has appeared in numerous musicals and films. Best known for his role as Cat in Red Dwarf.
- Jonathan Ross: The infamous television and radio presenter and comic book writer.
- Suzy Varty: Comics creator and tutor known for her work in the British Women's Comic movement of the 1970s.
The shortlists for all five categories will be announced on Friday 17th October, with winners to follow at the awards ceremony on the 15th of November.