Fantastic Five: Best Defenders
If there’s one thing we’ve learned from our years on the Internet, it’s that there’s no aspect of comics that can’t be broken down and quantified in a single definitive list, preferably in amounts of five or ten. And since there’s no more definitive authority than ComicsAlliance, we’re taking it upon ourselves to compile Top Five lists of everything you could ever want to know about comics.
The Defenders are often considered the also-rans of Marvel super-teams. They lack the prestige of the Avengers and the popularity of the X-Men, and the Champions have them them for "most ridiculous." But now that they're getting a TV series on Netflix, it's time to give the Defenders a closer look. The lineup of the classic team, which debuted in 1971, was very different from the Netflix version. So with that in mind, we've put together five of the very best members of the original Defenders.
- If you're curious about the original Defenders, you can read the whole series starting here, or get the first collection.
- Number five joined the team at the beginning of the New Defenders era, which is collected here.
- Number four first appeared as a villain in this issue, but quickly repented and joined the team.
- Number three joined the team in this issue, leaving a much more prestigious one in the process.
- Number two joined in Defenders #44, which isn't currently available, but also plays a major role in this collection.
- Number one is the longest-running member of the team, joining way back in this early issue.
Check out More Fantastic Five Episodes!