‘Supergirl’ Panel Reveals Superman, Mystery Pod Figure [SDCC 2016]
Supergirl is brighter than ever in her big move to The CW, and the former CBS superhero drama is ready to relaunch Kara’s world for Comic-Con 2016. We an early tease or two, but what major details did the Super cast reveal from the assembled event in San Diego? Our full panel report!
Here’s what we learned from the assembled might of The CW’s Supergirl at Comic-Con 2016, including Melissa Benoist, Mehcad Brooks, Tyler Hoechlin, Jeremy Jordan and more (no Calista Flockhart):
- Supergirl Season 2 hasn’t actually gone into production just yet, meaning no footage was available to screen, as well that star Tyler Hoechlin has yet to try on his Superman costume just yet. Womp-womp.
- As to why Season 2 was the right time to introduce Superman, producers noted that it was important for Season 1 to focus on fleshing out Kara first, before emphasizing her biological and adoptive family in Season 2.
- Supergirl Season 2 will also get the chance to spend more time with supporting characters, including Alex outside of the DEO (Chyler Leigh joked she had no idea where the character lives), and Jeremy Jordan’s Winn realizing his full potential as a computer genius.
- We can expect a fair bit of tension between Kara and her Super-cousin, particularly in what it means to be a superhero. That may come into play with Lynda Carter’s role as the President of the United States, given that “big things” will be happening to necessitate the Super-cousins working together.
- Christopher Wood’s still-unknown DC character has been revealed as the one in the pod at the end of Season 1. One has to wonder, with Cadmus in the mix, might that boy be Super? We’re hearing things about Mon-El this year as well …
- Don’t start asking about a musical episode just yet, but, “It would be silly not to recognize all the talent the show.”
- At one point, Hoechlin put his hair into the famous S-curl for a preview of his Superman look.
Meanwhile, in addition to the introduction of Tyler Hoechlin's Superman, Floriana Lima as Maggie Sawyer and Lynda Carter as this particular Earth’s POTUS, Supergirl Season 2 will cast several notable roles that include Lex Luthor’s sister Lena, and several others. Still unknown is if Supergirl Season 2 will introduce Superboy, given that mystery Season 2 cliffhanger, or how the Maiden of Might ends up in that epic four-way superhero crossover.
Supergirl has plenty other questions to answer on the road to Season 2’s October 10 premiere, but what to we make of the big move? Stay tuned for more from Comic-Con!