Unlimited Extras: What’s Coming To Comixology Unlimited in Late June?
It was only last month that Comixology launched Comixology Unlimited, a new subscription-base service with a Netflix-style model that gives access to a library of titles to read for a flat monthly fee. Since then, there's been one major question among readers: What exactly are we going to get on there?
Now, a month after the launch with titles from Image, Dark Horse, Valiant and IDW, the digital comics platform has announced the first wave of additions, set to hit Unlimited on June 27 --- including the first three issues of Afterlife With Archie, the first five of Ryan Browne's God Hates Astronauts, and the first eight issues of Matt Wagner's Mage: The Hero Discovered.
Mage in particular is worth noting, if only because it's exactly the kind of amazing comic that's been out of the spotlight for a while that Unlimited could deliver to a whole new generation of fans. Created by Matt Wagner in 1984, it's one of the standout books of the '80s black-and-white independent boom, telling the story of Kevin Matchstick, a reluctant hero with anger management issues who finds himself battling against supernatural enemies and eventually discovers that he's the reincarnation of King Arthur, with a magical baseball bat in place of Excalbur.
As rough as it is around its edges --- and as much as Wagner refined his story when it returned ten years later for the second volume, Mage: The Hero Defined --- it stands out as one of the high points of the decade, and is absolutely worth reading.
Here, courtesy of Comixology, is the entire list of what's being added:
- Afterlife With Archie #1-3 by Roberto Aquirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla (Archie Comics)
- Aliens: More than Human #1-4 by John Arcudi and Zach Howard (Dark Horse Comics)
- All New Soulfire #1-2 by J.T. Krul, V. Ken Marion and Kyle Ritter (Aspen Comics)
- Amy Devlin Mystery Vol. 1: Past Lies by Christian Weir, Nunzio DeFilippis, and Christopher Mitten (Oni Press)
- Archer & Armstrong: Wrath of The Eternal Warrior #5-9, Vol. 2 by Fred Van Lente and Emanuela Lupacchino (Valiant Entertainment)
- Bee and Puppycat #1-4, Vol. 1 by Natasha Allegri and Garrett Jackson (BOOM! Studios)
- Chaos: Digital Exclusive Edition #1-6 by Tim Seeley and Jim Terry (Dynamite Entertainment)
- District 14: Season 2 Vol 1 and 2 by Pierre Gabus and Romauld Reutimann (Humanoids)
- El Niño: The Guayas Delta Vol. 2 by Christian Perrissin and Boro Pavlovic (Humanoids)
- God Hates Astronauts #1-5 by Ryan Browne (Image Comics)
- Grimm Fairy Tales: Ascension #2-5, Vol. 1 by Patrick Shand and Butch Mapa (Zenescope Entertainment)
- Grimm Fairy Tales: Inferno #2-5, Vol. 1 by Ralph Tedesco and and Gabriel Rearte (Zenescope Entertainment)
- Gronk: A Monster's Story Vol. 1 by Katie Cook (Action Lab)
- Harbinger: Renegades #5-10, Vol. 2 by Joshua Dysart, Phil Briones and Matthew Clark (Valiant Entertainment)
- Invincible #9-13, Vol. 3: Perfect Strangers by Robert Kirkman and Cory Walker (Image Comics)
- Krazy & Ignatz: 1925-1926 & 1939-1940 by George Herrimann (Fantagraphics Books)
- Legends of Red Sonja #1-5 by Gail Simone, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Nancy Collins, Devin Grayson, Marjorie Liu, Leah Moore, and Jim Calafiore, Tula Lotay, Carla Speed McNeil, Phil Noto (Dynamite Entertainment)
- Mage: The Hero Discovered #1-8, Vol. 1 and 2 by Matt Wagner (Image Comics)
- The Mice Templar #1-7, Vol. 1 by Bryan J. L. Glass, and Michael Avon Oeming (Image Comics)
- Mind the Gap #1-5 by Jim McCann, Rodin Esquejo, Sonia Oback (Image Comics)
- The Sixth Gun: Sons of the Gun #1-5 by Cullen Bun and Brian Hurtt (Oni Press)
Steve Ditko Archives Vol. 2: Unexplored Worlds by Steve Ditko (Fantagraphics Books)
- The Technopriests Vol. 1 and 2 by Aexandro Jodorowsky and Zoran Janjetov (Humanoids)
- Vampirella Archives Vol. 1 by Frank Frazetta and various (Dynamite Entertainment)
- The Zombies That Ate the World: In the Name of Love Vol. 2 by Jerry Frissen and Guy Davis (Humanoids)
- Zombie Tramp vs. Vampblade #1-3 by Jason Martin and Dan Mendoza (Action Lab Entertainment)
The following titles from Magnetic Press will also debut on June 27th on Comixology Unlimited:
- The Adventures of Basil & Moebius #1-4 by Ryan Schifrin, Larry Hama, Adam Archer, Lizzy John, and others. (Magnetic Press)
- Daomu: Complete Edition by Xu “Kennedy” Lei and Ken Chuo (Magnetic Press)
- Meka #1 by JD Morvan and Bengal (Magnetic Press)
- Naja #1-2 by JD Morvan and Bengal (Magnetic Press)
- Luminae #1-2 by Bengal (Magnetic Press)
- Poet Anderson #1 by Tom DeLonge, Ben Kull, and Djet (Magnetic Press)
- Super-Ego #1-4 by Caio Oliveira and Lucas Marangon (Magnetic Press)
- Zaya #1-3 by JD Morvan and Huang-Jia Wei (Magnetic Press)