Rachel & Miles X-Plain The X-Men: Ororo, Queen of the Galaxy
Welcome back to Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men, a weekly podcast in which X-Perts Rachel Edidin and Miles Stokes explore the ins, outs, and retcons of fifty years of Marvel’s greatest superhero soap opera!
This week: Professor X is (canonically!) a jerk, Miles has Sidrian Hunter feelings, Kitty Pryde is Clarissa Darling with a dragon, we introduce a drinking game, the X-Men do Barbarella, Rachel has a ‘shipper moment, Rogue joins the team, Storm gets a haircut, Mastermind is still the worst, and Madelyne Pryor is underrated.
- Uncanny X-Men #168-175
- Reset issues
- A one-sided rivalry
- The lowest-drama X-romance
- The Cream of Wheat box as a metaphor for infinity
- Kitty’s Kostume Korner
- Rachel’s questionably-canon ships
- The Morlocks
- Class privilege and the mutant metaphor
- A dubbing error
- Gender dimorphism in superhero media
- Storm’s first major character arc
- Our single favorite superhero artist
- Rogue’s accent
- A Charles Xavier we can believe in
- Punk Storm
- Madelyne Pryor
- Cyclops vs. formalwear
Art Challenge: Send us your Kitty Pryde costume redesigns--any era, any codename--to xplainthexmen(at)gmail(dot)com
Next Week: Claremont and Miller’s Wolverine!