Fantastic Five: Best Superhero Doppelgangers
If there’s one thing we’ve learned from our years on the Internet, it’s that there’s no aspect of comics that can’t be broken down and quantified in a single definitive list, preferably in amounts of five or ten. And since there’s no more definitive authority than ComicsAlliance, we’re taking it upon ourselves to compile Top Five lists of everything you could ever want to know about comics.
For every hero, there is an equal and opposite villain. It seems like when you put on a costume and fight crime, it's only a matter of time before someone shows up who looks just likes you but would rather commit crimes. Whether they're clones or evil twins, imperfect duplicates or the guy who had the job before you, the evil doppelganger (from the German, and literally translated as "double-goer") is a classic trope in superhero comics, and we've gathered five of the very best.
- There's been a ton of stories about number five, but the very best starts here.
- Number four's first storyline remains a modern classic, and you can find it here if you've somehow never read it.
- Number three has had a lot of incarnations over the years, but a good take on the classic version can be found here.
- If you're interested in number two (and you should be), you have to read this story.
- For a serious take on number one, read this. For classic Silver Age weirdness, this is the book you want. And for a modern humorous take, go here.
Check Out More Episodes of Fantastic Five Below