Fantastic Five: Best War Heroes
If there’s one thing we’ve learned from our years on the Internet, it’s that there’s no aspect of comics that can’t be broken down and quantified in a single definitive list, preferably in amounts of five or ten. And since there’s no more definitive authority than ComicsAlliance, we’re taking it upon ourselves to compile Top Five lists of everything you could ever want to know about comics.
This week we're counting down the five best recurring heroes ever to grace the pages of war comics. The genre of war stories in comics is almost as old as the medium itself. The height of the Golden Age of Comics lines up more or less with the beginnings of World War II, and the earliest superheroes largely found success in punching out Nazis. So even comics that weren't war comics were war comics. With this blending of genres, it's no surprise that some recurring protagonists emerged as stars of the page, and this video celebrates five of the best.
- As it says in the video, some war comics couldn't make the list on the technicality that they didn't really feature recurring or really standout memorable characters, but you should still read Two-Fisted Tales, Frontline Combat, Blazing Combat, and The 'Nam if you are interested in the genre of war comics.
- Characters from the honorable mentions can be found here, here, here, here, and here.
- If you've never heard of number five, you should give it a shot here.
- Number four's classic adventures here, modern version here.
- Number three classic here, '90s reimagining here, modern version here.
- The penultimate entry can be found here.
- Number one's classic adventures here, a more modern take by his definitive artist here.
Check Out More Fantastic Five Episodes