12 Facts You May Not Have Known About Doomsday
Everyone loves comic book trivia, but with 75 years of superhero comics behind us right now, there’s always some new obscure fact to learn. That’s why ComicsAlliance is going deep into the minutiae of your favorite characters in our continuing video series. You think you know comics? Well, here’s a few things you might not know!
This week we're taking a look at Doomsday, who, despite being described by Chris Sims as grey Hulk in bicycle shorts with bone claws, is nevertheless going to be making his major motion picture debut this year in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. Though he is still best known for his debut story in which he and Superman "killed" each other, we will take you through Doomsday's history, starting with his origin as a repeatedly murdered baby all the way to his fate as a mind-controlling purple dust in Superman's lungs, with all the twists and turns along the way.
- If somehow in the course of your life, you have not managed to receive a copy of the Death of Superman, you can get the whole story here.
- Alternately, you can get the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus, which despite being more expensive is actually better on the whole because Funeral for a Friend and Reign of the Supermen are pretty great.
- It's out of print, but you can score a cheap used copy of The Superman/Doomsday Omnibus if you want to learn about what happened to Doomsday after the death of Superman, as well as his storied history.
- If you're looking for a more recent, actually pretty good Doomsday story, try Reign of Doomsday.
- The story of Superman inhaling Doomsday powder and then turning into him, despite sounding dumb as hell, is actually really great. It is called Doomed and you should read it.
Watch more installments of You Think You Know Comics? below and let us know what comic book characters we should cover next.