12 Facts You May Not Have Known About Hellblazer
Everyone loves comic book trivia, but with decades of comics behind, there’s always some new obscure fact to learn. That’s why ComicsAlliance is going deep into the minutiae of your favorite names in comics in our continuing video series. You think you know comics? Well, here’s a few things you might not know!
This week we're looking at DC/Vertigo's most famous urban wizard, John Constantine, Hellblazer! Constantine began as a supporting character in Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, but soon found himself starring in Vertigo's longest running series to date. This video takes a look at the history of the character, from his inspiration and creation, to the official word on how his name is pronounced, to just what has happened to this Vertigo mainstay in the light of the post-Flashpoint merger of Vertigo with the main DCU.
- You can read the earliest Hellblazer stories here.
- Possibly the best known Hellblazer story, Dangerous Habits, can be found here.
- The Constantine stories by Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman can be found in this volume.
- Warren Ellis's run, including the once-shelved story "Shoot," can be found here.
- Brian Azzarello's run begins here.
- The first New 52 Constantine series begins here. The second series, Constantine: The Hellblazer begins here. You can start following the current Rebirth series digitally here.
Watch more installments of You Think You Know Comics? below and let us know what comic book characters we should cover next.