12 Facts You May Not Have Known About Luke Cage, Hero for Hire
Everyone loves comic book trivia, but with 75 years of superhero comics behind us right now, there’s always some new obscure fact to learn. That’s why ComicsAlliance is going deep into the minutiae of your favorite names in comics in our continuing video series. You think you know comics? Well, here’s a few things you might not know!
Sweet Christmas! This week we're taking a look at Carl Lucas, aka Luke Cage, aka Power Man, aka Cage, aka the Hero for Hire, Marvel's first blaxploitation superhero. If you're stoked for his upcoming Netflix series but have no idea about his past in the mean streets of Marvel's New York, have no fear! This video covers Cage's history from his origin to his lasting friendship with Iron Fist to his relationship with Jessica Jones to his connection to Hollywood's finest actor, and even more.
- To see the earliest adventures of Luke Cage in his yellow shirt era, start here.
- To read some really great comics about Luke Cage and his best friend, Iron Fist, get this bad boy right here.
- If you want to see leather jacket era '90s Cage, this is the book for you.
- Cage's modern day rise to prominence began with his appearance in Alias, the comic that was the basis for the Netflix Jessica Jones series.
- His continued rise was helped along by his placement in the New Avengers. That story starts here and contains at least one pretty baller Cage moment.
Watch more installments of You Think You Know Comics? below and let us know what comic book characters we should cover next.