First Second Unveils New Titles For Fall 2017 By Tillie Walden, Gene Luen Yang, Ben Hatke, Gigi D.G., Andy Hirsch And More
Over the last ten years, First Second has made a name for itself as a publisher of top quality titles by a diverse range of creators, reflecting a wide array of experiences and genres. Today, the publisher announced its Fall 2017 line-up, which includes hard-boiled crime stories, coming-of-age stories, and perhaps most important, stories about dogs.
In an announcement at Entertainment Weekly, First Second’s editorial director Mark Siegel unveiled its line-up covering September to early November of next year, adding commentary for each title. Among the standouts are a ballet title called Spinning, from rising star Tillie Walden; Pashmina by Nidhi Chanani, about a young Indian-American girl attempting to get in touch with her heritage; and The Hunting Accident, by David Carlson and Landis Blair, a true story about a blind man's budding friendship with a serial killer behind bars.
Also announced are new installments of some First Second mainstays, including Science Comics: Dogs by Andy Hirsch, and a new volume of Gene Luen Yang's and Mike Holmes' Secret Coders. There's also a new volume of Jason Shiga's off-the-wall fantasy comic Demon, and Mighty Jack and the Goblin King from Ben Hatke, which Siegel promises has a connection to Hatke's Zita The Spacegirl seres.
For more information and commentary by Siegel, check out the announcement at EW. Here's the full list of titles, along with release dates
- Mighty Jack and the Goblin King by Ben Hatke, Sept. 5
- Castle in the Stars by Alex Alice, Sept. 12
- Spinning by Tillie Walden, Sept. 12
- The Hunting Accident by David Carlson and Landis Blair, Sept. 19
- The Dam Keeper by Robert Kondo and Daisuke Tsutsumi, Sept. 26
- Secret Coders: Robots & Repeats by Gene Luen Yang and Mike Holmes, Oct. 3
- Pashmina by Nidhi Chanani, Oct. 3
- Cucumber Quest by Gigi DG, Oct. 10a
- Cast No Shadow by Nick Tapalansky and Anissa Espinosa, Oct. 10
- Head Games by Craig McDonald and Kevin Singles, Oct. 24
- Pelé: The King of Soccer by Eddy Simon and Vincent Brascaglia, Oct. 24
- Science Comics: Dogs by Andy Hirsch, Oct. 31
- Demon 4 by Jason Shiga, Nov. 7
- Cici’s Journal by Joris Chamblain and Aurelie Neyret, Nov. 7