DC Pays Homage To DC With May’s ‘New 52 Hits #52′ Variants
In the cryptic numerology that rules the DC Universe, there is no number more significant than 52. It's been at the center of crossovers, titles, the otherwise inexplicable number of not-so-infinite Earths, and more, so naturally, when the books of the "New 52" Universe actually hit #52 this May, it's not going to go by without comment.
To that end, the 52nd issues of the surviving titles from the relaunch --- Action Comics, Aquaman, Batgirl, Batman, Catwoman, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Superman and Wonder Woman --- will hit shelves with variant covers that homage the first issues from back in 2011. Check 'em out below, along with the original covers that inspired them!
Click each image for a bigger version:
In addition to the surprising fact that Green Arrow has managed to last for the duration of the new 52niverse --- and the sadness that we're not going to see homage covers for, say, OMAC and Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE --- Justice League is conspicuous by its absence, but the 52nd issue of that book won't be out until June.
Here's DC's official description of the month's variants:
Celebrating 52 issues of incredible storytelling, DC Entertainment’s May 2016 variant cover theme will pay homage to the #1 issues of eleven comics that debuted in 2011 when DC Entertainment rebooted their superhero publishing line and revitalized the comics industry as a whole. It was a momentous occasion then, and is an anniversary to celebrate now!
Inspired by Cliff Chiang’s Wonder Woman #1, Rags Morales and Brad Anderson’s Action Comics #1, Adam Hughes’ Batgirl #1, and more, these brand-new “The New 52” variants will grace the covers of those same landmark titles that are hitting issue #52 in May. Illustrated by an all-star lineup of incredible talent, May’s lineup of variant covers are as remarkable as the industry-changing covers they’re based on.
Here are the credits for the new covers:
- Action Comics #52 variant cover by Ben Oliver
- Aquaman #52 variant cover by Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund
- Batgirl #52 variant cover by Babs Tarr
- Batman #52 variant cover by Rafael Albuquerque
- Catwoman #52 variant cover by Inaki Miranda
- Detective Comics #52 variant cover by Francis Manapul
- The Flash #52 variant cover by Jesus Merino
- Green Arrow #52 variant cover by Szymon Kudranski
- Green Lantern #52 variant cover by Billy Tan
- Superman #52 variant cover by Mikel Janin
- Wonder Woman #52 variant cover by David Finch and Matt Banning
And here are the credits for the originals, as well:
- Action Comics #1 cover by Rags Morales and Brad Anderson
- Aquaman #1 cover by Ivan Reis, Joe Prado and Rod Reis
- Batgirl #1 cover by Adam Hughes
- Batman #1 cover by Greg Capullo and Alex Sinclair
- Catwoman #1 cover by Guillem March
- Detective Comics #1 cover by Tony Daniel and Tomeu Morey
- The Flash #1 cover by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato
- Green Arrow #1 cover by Dave Wilkins
- Green Lantern #1 cover by Ivan Reis, Joe Prado and Rod Reis
- Superman #1 cover by George Perez and Brian Buccellato
- Wonder Woman #1 cover by Cliff Chiang