Marvel Studios Head: Edgar Wright’s ‘Ant-Man’ Approach Just Wasn’t Working
Marvel Studios and director Edgar Wright have both been pretty mum about the reasons for why they ended up parting ways on the Ant-Man movie, but Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige did open up a bit to The Guardian last week to try to quash some of the scuttlebutt about Wright’s vision being too out-there for Marvel.
Here’s what he had to say:
The notion that Marvel was scared, the vision was too good, too far out for Marvel is not true. And I don’t want to talk too much about that because I think our movies speak to that. Go look at ‘Iron Man 3′; go look at ‘The Winter Soldier’; go see ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ later this month. It would have to be really out there to be too out there for us. The perception that the big evil studio was too scared at the outside-the-box creative vision is just not the case.
Wright hasn’t intimated that the reasons Feige discussed were the reasons for his departure, but there’s been considerable online discussion to that effect, and a few of Wright’s prominent friends have commented that Marvel is missing out by not having him. Last month, actor Simon Pegg said, “If you hire a director who has a particular vision, you’ve got to expect him or her to make a ‘such and such’ film, an Edgar Wright film. And that’s what that script was.”
Feige said the real reason for the split with Wright is simply the discovery in a meeting that “it was not working.” Feige also took a bit of the blame for not realizing that earlier — Wright has been working on Ant-Man since 2006 — saying he “wishes we could have figured that out in the eight years we were working on it.”
Feige also seemed to indicate that the studio’s relationship with Wright has been damaged somewhat, despite the initial characterization that the split was “amicable.”
Yes Man director Peyton Reed has taken over the project, which is still scheduled for release July 17, 2015.